The past few months I have been very busy scouring Pinterest for ideas, and now it’s a matter of finding the right kitchen, bathroom, floors, tiles, light switches, door handles (… you get the picture) to make our home OURS.
And last but not least, we took a sailing course. Every Saturday and Sunday of October we have been out on the water with our trusty Julien the Vaurien. We have been having a ball… Luckily the weather has been kind, with no rain at all and temperatures above 20ºC. We are already making plans to continue the course throughout the entire year to learn to sail regattas! It is just awesome. Oh, you want a picture? Your wish is my command!
Back to the dress!
Today I am showing off my make for The Monthly Stitch Frocktober. When I hear the word ‘Frock’ I immediately think ‘fancy dress’.
I have been stuck on straight skirts for a while now and I have a huge crush on Belgian Queen Mathilde, so I chose this pattern. It reminded me of the gorgeous dress the Queen wore to the crowning of King Philippe.
The Queen’s version:
As you can see, there are a couple of differences.
First of all, I omitted the collar. One reason is that I didn’t think it would work very well with this fabric, and the second is that I barely managed to cut the dress of the yardage I had on hand, a collar was simply not possible.
Another difference: no sleeves. I don’t think those would have worked either. I have never worn a dress with silk twill sleeves, but I can’t imagine that those are really comfortable. Besides, if I want to go dancing in this dress, sleeves would only be in the way.
Last difference: mine is shorter. I don’t have a crowning to attend and I like my skirts a bit shorter.
Apart from sewing 10 darts, this is not a difficult dress! The only difficulty I had was that I only had 0.5 cm of seam allowance on the sides from the waist down (thank you pear shape) and inserting an invisible zipper with that small amount of fabric… Pfffff… In the end I had to handstitch it in place.
The fabric is a great silk twill I picked up on my La Coruña fabric binge. It was the last of the bolt and I got it for 30€. It was just enough and involved a bit of puzzling to get the fabricpattern to line up, but it worked out! Yeay!
These pictures were taken in the entrance of our apartment building, and I really like the setting. We should do something about the lighting though…
I really love the dress, but it won’t come out of the closet any time soon due to lack of an appropriate event… New Year’s Eve is not that far away though.