Pants for me, a rarity…

I don’t like wearing pants. There I have said it. I used to adore my Diesel-jeans, I practically lived in them, but they stopped making the model and now they don’t have a model that fits me well anymore. I once went shopping for a new pair, long story short, I went to 5 stores, tried on 20 different models and none fit me. That was quite a depressing way to spend the day. After that, I just gave up on wearing jeans… Any one have a favourite brand or model for pear shapes, preferably manufactured in Europe or the US?
Up until last week I had 2 pair of pants I wore regularly, a grey pair and a black stretch jeans. Last week I was squatting down and the fabric of my black pants tore. Now I must admit, this was not the first time this has happened to me. The insides of my thighs rub together and the fabric gets worn out faster in that spot, and thus eventually all jeans tend to tear up sooner or later…
Even though I don’t like wearing pants, I do like making them. So I decided I should make a new pair of pants. And as a lucky coincidence, February is Smarty Pants Month at The Monthly Stitch.
http://themonthlystitch.wordpress.com/category/smarty-pants/
I had been eying this pattern for a while and I know that Burda-pants fit me just fine without any alterations. After I saw Rachel‘s high waisted trousers, I was more and more convinced that this style should come from under my machine and make its’ way into my closet…
Source Burdastyle.com
 I love the high waist on these pants, I just love the style. The husband-monster? Not so much. I believe he said he will only go out with me if I pull my shirt over the waistband, but I don’t like the way that looks, so he’ll just have to live with tucked in shirts…
The pink wool is from my stash and cost me 15€, picked up from a remnants table in Barcelona. Add a zipper to the grand total and I have new wool trousers for about 16€.
 Now construction wise:
Turns out I can sew a pair of pants in one day! Who would have thought? Certainly not me!
As with all Burda patterns, instructions are minimal. One A4-sheet in total…
 
The welt pockets gave me a bit of a headache. I have never made single welt pockets before, and if I hadn’t found this tutorial, both pockets would have ended up a disaster, instead of just the right pocket. I messed up completely and in the end had to sew the whole pocket by hand. Of course after I had slashed the pocket line…  Ugh! The left pocket looks alright. 
I didn’t go with the invisible zipper but went for a lapped zipper instead, using Sunny’s class on Craftsy. Turns out I should have started with the back leg so the lap would go from front to back, but I started with the front leg, and now my zip closes the wrong way. I’m pretty sure no one will notice.
I was very much in doubt, but in the end I went for the splits on the bottom, and I’m really glad I did. It’s a fun little feature, and they make my shoes look good. I like the way my trousers fall around my shoes instead of sitting on top of the shoe. Next time I will make the split 2cm shorter so my socks don’t show…

I made a size 42, but I think I could have gotten away with a size 40. Guess that will be for next time, when these wear out.
What are your favourite trouser patterns and which one would you recommend me?

Burda – a challenge

Don’t let these pictures fool you, it is still supercold around here, and right after we took these pics I put my sweater and winter coat back on…

There is a Burda challenge going on in blogland where you have to make an item from the previous issue of BurdaStyle magazine before you can buy a new one. I admire the ladies that enter this challenge because I am a hoarder when it comes to patterns. I download, print, buy, pin them but then easily forget about them and go for a new one before even making the patterns I got earlier…

Anyway, last month I was in Bilbao again, shopping for fabric for my husband’s wedding shirt. The fabric we wanted wasn’t in stock but we did find a nice piece of fun summer fabric in the remnants bin with my name written all over it:

You can’ t really tell from this picture, but this is neon-green!

 I wanted a quick win after the struggling I had with my Violet, so I thought I’d go with an easy top. I went through all my patterns and Burda magazines and settled on this one.Burda 07/2012 #116.

Never trust a pattern where the model is shown lying down…

I remeasured myself and went for the right size this time, but I still felt like the top was way to big. So I took in the raglansleeves and took a whole bunch from the side seams and then, just as I was about to enter the home stretch, or so I thought, I cut in my fabric. Not just a little cut close to a side, NO, a big gash in the middle of the fabric. I hate it when things go wrong… 
So, I put my peanut to work and came up with a solution, not a perfect solution, but a solution anyway… So that explains that little strap hanging from the front… It’s just a cover-up… But shh, don’t tell anyone please!

I’m still not satisfied with the neckline after adding a lot of pleats (1 in the center front, one on each sleeve and 2 in the back) and I think I know how to fix it (by adding 2 more pleats 😦  ) , but I’m a bit tired of removing and re-attaching bias-strips for a while, so I’ll just leave it like this for now…
What was supposed to be a quick top took me several hours (days), and a lot of headaches and almost a heartbreak thinking I had ruined my great fabric…


So I guess there is more than one way to interpret a Burda-challenge…